Flowers, Chocolate and Teddy Bears are okay but do they fully express your understanding of what he/she wants/needs/loves? For some that may check the box but is that really how you want to approach this? I have a better idea, consider her/his love language when you plan your Valentine’s Day gift. A love language is a way to express and experience love emotionally, explains Chapman. If you don’t know what it is then I complete this activity together to take your relationship to the next level. I highly recommend The 5 Love Languages quiz, it has served me well in my 13+ years of marriage.
Words of Affirmation
You can never say it enough and it is even more special when you find a creative way to express your love.
- Purchase a nice stationary set from Paper Source or Papyrus and leave love notes around the home (mirrors, refrigerator door) in commonly used places with a small gift to express your love and adoration
- Purchase quote table top decor or custom felt letter boards to execute this idea and create a feature wall / area in your home to remind your lover of how you feel about them daily
- Keep it simple and use a dry erase marker or post it notes to share your favorite love quotes throughout the week
- Buy matching graphic tees and wear them proudly on date night
Plan an activity together and devote your undivided attention to it. Leave your cellphone in the car if you must but probably better to put it on do not disturb or Airplane mode so you can still capture a few pictures/videos along the way. Consider creating a play list for the drive to make the moment even more special.
- Looking for something unique? Axe Throwing is a all the rage in Atlanta! Check out the video below! I can’t wait to try this!
- Do you want to get a little dirty? Cooking classes are a great way to learn how to cook an amazing meal together. Check out a Sur la Table cooking class near you
- Do they feel the need for speed? Race cars at The Porsche Driving Experience
- Do they like to travel? Surprise them with a trip, staycation at a local hotel or gift card on their preferred airline.
How do you know what they want? If their love language is gifts, they typically have no issues telling you what they want so listen up or replay the last month in your mind to find the clues! Pay attention to what they use daily, what is about to run out? You can make a basket of their favorite things. Go to their favorite store, you can’t go wrong with a gift card but picking something out is more thoughtful. Phone a friend – it never hurts to ask for help! Call up or DM his/her best friend to get some tips! What you gift is not the only important factor but also how you gift! Enlist the help of a co-worker or friend to surprise them with gifts in unexpected places.
- Lead up to Valentine’s Day with 5 days of Gifts
- Order a subscription service for the gift that keeps giving! I love BeLoved Box but here’s a great list from Crate Joy!
- Mason Jar of Love – write down 20-30 small gifts ($20 or less) and allow your lover to select one or several each day leading up to Valentine’s Day
Check out Oprah’s Favorite Things for additional inspiration. Here are a few of my favorites things and they are all unisex!
You touch your lover daily, or at least I hope you do, but how do you elevate this to make it special?
- Dancing! Try a dance class together or enlist the help of friends to perform a special dance for your lover. Fellas channel your inner Magic Mike; ladies get your Beyonce on PoleLaTeaz can teach you a great routine!
- Sensual Massage – you can execute this at home or plan a couples massage. Splurge on a spa suite at the Waldorf Astoria
- Try getting a little dirty and channel Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze and make Pottery!
Acts of Service
What you do can sometimes be more important than what you say. For this love language, it can be all that matters.
- Develop a services menu (fully body massage, breakfast in bed, make their favorite meal) that your lover can order from and be sure to add in items that keep it SEXY (Bikini/Swim Trunks Car Wash)
- Take on the chores you NEVER do (grocery shopping, laundry, dishes)
- Give them a day off/night off
Check out the Pro Flowers Blog for 100 acts of service ideas
Wishing you an amazing Valentine’s Day Luvs! – Z’Marie